There are many different reasons that people come in for counseling. We typically see students who are struggling with stress in their academic, personal, and/or social lives. We are also ready to help student veterans navigate such topics as transitioning back into civilian life, issues within a couple’s relationship, concerns related to suicidal thoughts, PTSD, and academic testing for accommodations. Counseling offers a confidential setting to talk about your concerns and to help you feel better overall.
Some veterans do not qualify for VA health care, and some seek resources outside of the VA or DoD systems. We offer a low-cost, confidential, and student-centric alternative that is conveniently located on campus.
Your first session will be an Intake session, which will introduce you to our services and walk you through your options. This first appointment is free and fees for subsequent counseling sessions are minimal. Additionally, no eligible person will be denied service for financial reasons. At the end of the intake appointment, which usually lasts about 45 minutes, you and your counselor will collaboratively determine how we can best support you. For many students, ongoing individual, couples, and/or group counseling is helpful. We can also help you take advantage of our Learning Enhancement Program, the Testing Center, the Center for Student Wellness, and other resources on campus and/or in the community.
There are many helpful campus- and community-based resources for student veterans in the area. These include:
- 24-hour Veterans Crisis Line: 800-273-8255, press 1.
- The Salt Lake City VA Medical Center
- www.saltlakecity.va.gov or 801-582-1565
- VA VITAL program – a collaborative U and VA health system program
- Dr. Aaron Ahern, 801-828-6787 or email@example.com
- The U’s National Center for Veterans Studies – free PTSD and suicide prevention services
- The U’s Veterans Support Center
- Utah Department of Veterans Affairs
- https://veterans.utah.gov/ or 801-326-2372
- The SLC Vet Center
- https://www.saltlakecity.va.gov/vet_centers.asp or 801-266-1499