Skip to content

Main Navigation

Mental Health Records & Information Release

The University Counseling Center is committed to protecting medical, mental health, and personal information about you. Release of information must comply with state and federal guidelines. Please contact us if you have questions regarding the release of health information. 

Questions? Contact us.
Mon - Fri  | 8am - 5pm



Requesting Mental Health Records

  1. Complete the Initial request form. Please provide all the information required.
  2. Our Clinical Staff will review the request and contact you within five business days.
  3. A collaborative plan will be developed to release the information to you or the entity of your choosing.
  4. The clinical staff will send a separate Authorization Form (Consent to Release Information) to release that information (as required by law).
  5. After receiving the signed document, the clinical staff will send the records to you or confirm sending the records to the entity of your choosing.


records Release FAQ

How long does the UCC keep my records?

The UCC keeps your records for up to 10 years.

How long will it take to get my records?

The UCC has up to 30 days to respond to requests for records.

What records do I have access to?

Usually, you have access to sessions notes, dates of treatment, testing reports, psychiatric evaluation notes, follow up psychiatric appointment notes, and other information pertaining to your care. You do not have access to video/ audio recordings or instruments used for psychological testing.

What do I do if my records have an error or mistakes?

After reviewing the records, please reach out to us to collaborate on amending the records. Unfortunately, we cannot change past records, only provide written amendments. We cannot legally alter the original clinical record, but we can add an addendum noting your disagreement with what is included in the original record.

Can a family member or friend request my records?

A third party may not request records without the expressed written consent of the client. A signed release must be submitted by the client in order to release these records.

Can I request a letter of attendance or support?

Yes, you can. Please fill out the form above to request this information.

Last Updated: 1/26/24