Support While You Wait
The Counseling Center is doing everything we can to connect students to mental health services as quickly as possible. Wait times for mental health services are, unfortunately, common across Utah due to the growing demand for these services. Nevertheless, we are still doing everything we can to help students get the help that they need.
There are options for immediate support and skills if you or someone you know is in crisis or waiting for an intake appointment:
If you are in crisis:
- Click here for an extensive list of chat and hotline crisis resources, including resources for survivors of sexual violence.
- The Counseling Center has crisis services available for students who are suicidal, having thoughts of hurting others, or who have recently experienced trauma or discrimination. You can access our crisis services by calling 801-581-6826 M-F from 8 AM to 6 PM (5 PM on Fridays) and asking to speak with a crisis counselor.
- Free, 24-hour crisis support and problem-solving are available by chat/messaging through SafeUT. Download the app today and get support right away.
- The Utah Crisis Line provides 24/7 free and confidential crisis help and support and can be accessed by calling 1-800-273-TALK.
- If you are living in the residence halls you can reach out to the Mental Health First Responders (MH1) between 4 PM and 2 AM 7 days a week for help managing a crisis.
If you are anxious, depressed, lonely, or struggling academically:
Please utilize the numerous and free services of the Counseling Center’s Mindfulness Center. These services are free, have no wait, do NOT require an intake, and can be utilized as many times as you need and for long as you like. Mindfulness Center programs help students to address a range of concerns through skills and practices like self-compassion, mindfulness-based stress reduction, and meditation. We also offer workshops specifically for BIPOC students and students managing ADHD symptoms or a learning disability.
Other helpful resources:
- Download and utilize one of these free apps
- Connect to one of our free support groups. No intake necessary!
- Victim Survivor Advocates: https://wellness.utah.edu/victim-survivor-advocacy/
- Center for Disability and Access https://disability.utah.edu/
- Basic Needs Center https://basicneeds.utah.edu/
- Dean of Students https://deanofstudents.utah.edu/
- Women’s Resource Center https://womenscenter.utah.edu/
- Student Support Advocates https://ssa.utah.edu/